FREEDOM OF INFORMATION COMMISSION
OF THE STATE OF CONNECTICUT
In the Matter of a Complaint by Final Decision
William J. Choma, Jr.,
against Docket #FIC 91-323
Princess Pocotopaug Association,
Respondent May 13, 1992
The above-captioned matter was heard as a contested case on March 23, 1992, at which time the complainant and the respondent appeared, stipulated to certain facts and presented testimony, exhibits and argument on the complaint. This matter was consolidated for hearing with Docket #FIC 92-54, William J. Choma, Jr. v. Princess Pocotopaug Association.
After consideration of the entire record, the following facts are found and conclusions of law are reached:
1. The respondent is a public agency within the meaning of §1-18a(a), G.S.
2. By letter of complaint filed September 30, 1991, the complainant appealed to the Commission, alleging that his request for copies of the respondent's bylaws and certain financial records had been denied.
3. It is found that the complainant by letter mailed to the president of the respondent on September 20, 1991, requested the respondent's financial statements for the years 1989, 1990, and the first half of 1991, and an updated copy of the respondent's bylaws.
4. It is found that the respondent did not reply to the complainant's request.
5. It is found that the requested records are public records within the meaning of §§1-18a(d) and 1-19(a), G.S.
6. It is concluded that the respondent violated §§1-15 and 1-19(a), G.S., by failing to provide copies of the requested records promptly upon request.
The following order by the Commission is hereby recommended on the basis of the record concerning the above-captioned complaint:
Docket #FIC 91-323 Page 2
1. The respondent shall forthwith provide to the complainant copies of the records described in paragraph 3 of the findings, above.
2. Henceforth the respondent shall strictly comply with the requirements of §§1-15 and 1-19(a), G.S.
Approved by Order of the Freedom of Information Commission at its regular meeting of May 13, 1992.
Clerk of the Commission
Docket #FIC 91-323 Page 3
PURSUANT TO SECTION 4-180(c), G.S. THE FOLLOWING ARE THE NAMES OF EACH PARTY AND THE MOST RECENT MAILING ADDRESS, PROVIDED TO THE FREEDOM OF INFORMATION COMMISSION, OF THE PARTIES OR THEIR AUTHORIZED REPRESENTATIVE.
THE PARTIES TO THIS CONTESTED CASE ARE:
WILLIAM J. CHOMA, JR.
20 Namonee Trail
East Hampton, CT 06424
LEROY JONES, ESQ.
Jones, Cipriano & Cipriano
1220 Whitney Avenue
Hamden, CT 06517
Clerk of the Commission