FREEDOM OF INFORMATION COMMISSION
OF THE STATE OF CONNECTICUT
In the Matter of a Complaint by FINAL DECISION
Debra M. Gaudette,
against Docket #FIC 88-168
Mayor of the Town of East Hartford,
Respondent August 24, 1988
The above-captioned matter was heard as a contested case on June 28, 1988, at which time the complainant and the respondent appeared, stipulated to certain facts and presented testimony, exhibits and argument on the complaint.
After consideration of the entire matter, the following facts are found:
1. The respondent is a public agency within the meaning of §1-18a(a), G.S.
2. By letter dated April 25, 1988 the complainant made a request of the respondent for "a list of the qualifications of all of the people who are on various Boards or Commissions in the Town of East Hartford."
3. By letter dated April 27, 1988 the respondent informed the complainant that her request was "unreasonable and will not be met."
4. By letter of complaint filed with the Commission on May 3, 1988 the complainant appealed the respondent's denial of her request.
5. It is found that the complainant's request was for a list of the qualifications sought by the respondent when making appointments to boards and commissions.
6. It is found that there does not exist a list of qualifications such as was requested by the complainant. An affidavit so stating was provided to the complainant at hearing.
7. It is concluded that the respondent's April 27, 1988 response did not deny the complainant access to public records within the meaning of §§1-15 or 1-19(a), G.S.
Docket #FIC 88-168 Page Two
The following order by the Commission is hereby recommended on the basis of the record concerning the above-captioned complaint.
1. The complaint is hereby dismissed.
Approved by order of the Freedom of Information Commission at its special meeting of August 24, 1988.
Catherine H. Lynch
Acting Clerk of the Commission