FREEDOM OF INFORMATION COMMISSION
OF THE STATE OF CONNECTICUT
In the Matter of a Complaint by FINAL DECISION
Paul Wallace and Connecticut Council 4, AFSCME,
against Docket #FIC 86-320
Mayor's Advisory Task Force Committee on the Dinan Memorial Center of the City of Bridgeport,
Respondent January 28, 1987
The above-captioned matter was heard as a contested case on December 22, 1986, at which time the complainant Wallace and the respondent appeared, stipulated to certain facts and presented testimony, exhibits and argument on the complaint.
After consideration of the entire record, the following facts are found:
1. On November 5, 1986, the respondent held an unnoticed meeting and required the complainant Wallace to leave the room. Certain non-committee members were allowed to remain at the meeting.
2. By letter of complaint dated November 17, 1986, and filed with the Commission on November 19, 1986, the complainants appealed to the Commission, alleging violations of 1-21(a) and 1-21g(a), G.S.
3. The respondent claims it is not a public agency and, therefore, not subject to the requirements of the Freedom of Information Act.
4. It is found that the respondent is a committee created by the Mayor of Bridgeport, an official of that city, to advise him on the proper disposition of the Dinan Memorial Center.
Docket #FIC 86-320 Page Two
5. It is found that the respondent, as a committee of a city official, is a public agency within the meaning of 1-18a(a), G.S.
6. It is concluded that the respondent violated 1-21(a) and 1-21g(a), G.S., by holding an unnoticed meeting, closing it to the complainant Wallace while allowing other non-agency members to attend, and not following other requirements for convening an executive session.
The following order by the Commission is hereby recommended on the basis of the record concerning the above-captioned complaint.
1. Henceforth the respondent shall act in strict compliance with the terms of 1-21(a) and 1-21g(a), G.S.
Approved by order of the Freedom of Information Commission at its regular meeting of January 28, 1987.
Catherine I. Hostetter
Acting Clerk of the Commission