FREEDOM OF INFORMATION COMMISSION
OF THE STATE OF CONNECTICUT
In the Matter of a Complaint by FINAL DECISION
LeRoy Grant, Jr.
against Docket #FIC 86-37
Director of Safety and Security, Department of Administrative Services of The State of Connecticut
Respondent March 26, 1986
The above captioned matter was heard as a contested case on February 24, 1986, at which time the complainant and the respondent appeared. By agreement, the hearing was convened, but continued to March 10, 1986, at which time the parties again appeared and presented testimony, exhibits and argument on the complaint.
After consideration of the entire record the following facts are found:
1. The respondent is a public agency within the meaning of 1-18a(a), G.S.
2. By letter to the respondent dated January 31, 1986, the complainant requested to inspect or obtain a copy of a memorandum submitted to the respondent by one Judy Gallnot.
3. By letter of complaint dated and filed with the Commission on February 11, 1986, the complainant alleged that the respondent had denied the request in violation of the Freedom of Information Act.
4. Subsequent to the filing of the complaint herein, the respondent provided the complainant with a copy of the requested memorandum.
5. It is concluded that due to a lack of knowledge regarding the disclosure requirements of the Freedom of Information Act, the respondent violated 1-15 and 1-19(a), G.S., by failing to make available the requested public record promptly upon request.
Docket #FIC 86-37 Page 2
The following order is hereby recommended on the basis of the record concerning the above captioned complaint:
1. Henceforth the respondent shall comply strictly with the provisions of 1-15 and 1-19(a), G.S., by making public records available to the public for inspection and copying promptly upon request.
Approved by order of the Freedom of Information Commission at its regular meeting of March 26, 1986.
Karen J. Haggett
Clerk of the Commission