FREEDOM OF INFORMATION COMMISSION
OF THE STATE OF CONNECTICUT
In the Matter of a Complaint by FINAL DECISION
Complainant Docket #FIC86-30
against March 12, 1986
Grievance Committee of the Judicial District of New London,
The above captioned matter was scheduled for hearing on February 20, 1986, at which time the parties appeared and the respondent presented a motion to dismiss.
After consideration of the entire record the following facts are found:
1. It is found that the respondent is a judicial committee because it is appointed by the judges pursuant to Practice Book Sections 27B and 27G.
2. The respondent moved to dismiss the complaint based upon the relevant findings of fact and law in #FIC 84-161.
3. The complainant herein seeks copies of the file in a complaint which he filed with the respondent concerning a certain attorney.
4. The grievance was dismissed by the committee.
5. In #FIC 84-162 Ribner v. Statewide Bar Counsel, the complainant, Ribner, also requested access to the file pertaining to a grievance which he had filed with the local grievance committee.
6. 1-18a(a), G.S. provides in relevant part that "public agency" includes any judicial office, official or body or committee thereof but only in respect to its administrative function.
7. In #FIC 84-162 the Commission found in relevant part that "neither the local nor the statewide grievance committee was performing an administrative function within the meaning of 1-18a(a) G.S."
8. It is concluded that the Commission lacks jurisdiction to hear this case, because the respondent is not a public agency within the meaning of 1-18a(a), G.S.
Docket #FIC86-30 page 2
The following order by the Commission is hereby recommended on the basis of the record concerning the above captioned complaint.
1. The complaint is hereby dismissed.
Approved by order of the Freedom of Information Commission at its regular meeting of March 12, 1986.
Karen J. Haggett
Clerk of the Commission